Volkswagen Arteon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone else have experienced this.

I discovered a vertical scratch on the outside of the drivers door window, which is probabely caused by something (a small gravel/stone?) caught between the window and the seal inside the door. The direction of the scratch is perfectly aligned with the movement of the window when going up and down.

The scratch is deep enough to be felt by the fingernail when moving the nail across it, and about 15 cm long.

We bought the car second hand from a dealer, and their reaction is that it is not something that would normally be covered by warranty. However since the scratch was there when we bought the car from them, they will fix it at no cost to us.

The interesting thing is that I have had exactly the same experience with my other car, a Jaguar F-type, which also have frameless doors. Those windows also developed the same vertical scratches, and the windows were replaced together with new seals of an improved design. All covered by the Jaguar factory warrenty.

What make me curious now is if this is something that others also have experienced or will experience in the future? In other words - is this just "one of a kind" experience, or is it a "bad" design that will cause this to happen to others as well, and should be rectified with an improved seal system?

Any feedbacks will be appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not experienced yet, but if this is a common problem it feels like it's just a matter of time until it happens to someone else...Wonder if there's something we could do to prevent things from getting in the seal or just avoid messing with the windows.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like it was just bad luck, with something getting caught in the window trim. Happy to hear that you were able to get it repaired with no out of pocket cost. Im sure if this problem becomes more widespread that VW will likely issue a recall to fix the faulty seals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have this issue, on my drivers window. The scratch isn't too deep and seemed to improve after a good clean, the annoying bit is the gravel/ stone is nowhere to be seen so it could easily happen again and again if it's still lodged somewhere in the seal. However due to, erm, modifications ;) I won't be returning it to VW anytime soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks like this might become a common problem for owners, so I have a feeling its only a matter of time until VW issues a recall. And @Boost do you by chance have a clip of the aftermarket exhaust system your running on your Arteon?

·
Registered
77 Posts
So you may need to ask a garage buddy to quickly check if possible, wonder if they have a tool to just gently pry apart the window plastic to see what's down there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, I have vertical scratches in both driver and passenger door windows. Taking the Arteon in for paint bubbling and door noise issues this week, so I'll get them to have a look at them and report back.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Too bad that's happening to such a new vehicle like the Arteon. You would think that VW would take better care and have better handling practices, turns out that's not so true and stems to even other vehicles from what I heard. Might be time to shop Korean.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bubbling paint update

Saw the bodyshop guy this morning. He's identified the issue as air bubbles in the clear coat. He reckons it came out of the factory like it. Whole roof will need a respray. I'm inclined to get them to do it. Seems quite picky, but it should never had passed final inspection as it is. All covered under warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ours also has scratched drivers and passengers windows, had car from new, from past history dealer is pretty useless, so no hope of getting it sorted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ours also has scratched drivers and passengers windows, had car from new, from past history dealer is pretty useless, so no hope of getting it sorted.
Had it replaced but it has done it again,it looks like it’s on the inside, car has only done 6500 miles, it seems to be a permanent problem with these cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts