Volkswagen Arteon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mazda6 diesel is being retired at 10 years old and just 112k miles after 4k miles in limp mode through Europe in June/July - DPF problems and needing £1.5k on to of the £2k already blown trying to get a fix. Had it since new.
So looking at "premium" replacements that can compete on the autobahn I initially thought BMW, Audi and Mercedes, but looked at a few others like Skoda Superb and Golf Estate. Checking out the Golf I stumbled upon the Arteon in a wtf moment - "This is a VW?"
I do my option appraisal well, and eventually the Arteon (190 TSI R-line) won ahead of 320i Tourer x-drive and C-Class Estate on being more modern, stylish, bigger, better equipped and not everyone seems to have one. 320i did handle better but I've a MX-5 Recaro for fun drives, and the Arteon handles fine enough, but to make sure I've added diff lock and adaptive suspension (probably not worth it, but hey!). Added a few other options too on the same logic, partly.
But like others on here it won't be soon - I'm looking at a "19" plate by the time it arrives. So Mazda6 - limp on - please.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It’s true that there are just a handfull of Arteon’s out there and that alone makes it special. You will not regret nor the diff, nor the adaptive suspension as those two are options well worth having. That wait though :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that - reassuring! But how about the sunroof, ProNav keyless/electric tailgate and heated screen? Some probably indulgent, but not the surround camera. That was essential - my wife has had a long and difficult relationship with the gatepost and I'm hoping .......
Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've ordered the same car as you (and strangely I'm also coming out of a Mazda 6, though only a four year old one - company car), except I didn't specify any options as it's a lease and they are charged at full price over the two years of the lease, hence would add a lot to the cost. I'm absolutely fine with the standard spec but do have a niggling doubt about the lack of rear camera. My Mazda has one and we have a bit of a manoeuvre getting out of our drive into a fairly narrow street. Couple that with the DSG being apparently a bit jerky at slow speeds, and I fear for the longevity of the rear bumper, even with parking sensors. I won't comment about which member of the family poses the greatest risk in case she's reading this ;-).

I also read with interest (or trepidation) about your experiences with the Mazda on a Euro road trip, as I'm about to undertake a 2500 mile family trip round Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and France myself in ours. I do have a fear of something going wrong with the Mazda, not just because of what you say above, but because it hasn't been the most reliable vehicle I've owned by quite a long stretch. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My DPF problem was pre-existing and allegedly fixed. I'm sure you'll be fine in Europe. My 2005 Mazda6 Estate was a better car than the newer 2007 model. The current one has a number of too-expensive-to-fix annoying problems so I'll keep it going as long as possible awaiting Arteon delivery. MX-5 is the back-up, and it's been reliable so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So guys, i did endulge in those options like keyless entry and electric tailgate because my better half is small and once the boot is open, she can’t reach anything to grab it, plus it’s really heavy. I also went for the sunroof as it makes the car feel more free inside, and is not as dark, plus if we have another summer like this it will be awesome. I took the dynaudio as well as I like listening to music in my car, but my gf love it. As for the heated screen added that too because in the winter, i want to have an easy life, and not freeze my a.s scrapping ice. I also ordered the 14 way seats, because i found the normal one very stiff and uncomfortable. And unfortunately, they don’t alow the ventilated seat on the R-line. Just on the elegance :(.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hee Hee! Sunroof just looks cool! I had to keep the options below £40k official list price or road tax goes hefty - going for white kept it below. I didn't go for the Dynaudio because I have a Bose system in my Mazdas (6 and MX-5) and it's good, but TBH in the soft-top? Mostly listen to the radio anyway. Good to know if the better sound system is worth it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts