Volkswagen Arteon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a new Arteon on a personal lease, to replace my current company car (Mazda 6). Glad to see this place is here, and look forward to discussions over the next 5-6 months (yes months) while waiting for my car to arrive in the UK (then of course once I get it). Apparently that's the waiting time at the moment, which is almost unbelievable.

It's job is going to be basic family transport mainly (amazing that a car this good looking is suited to that, but it is!), so decided to save money and get the 1.5TSI R-Line, which had a great lease deal available on it. Won't be the quickest but enough for the job.

Nice to join this group, hope to take part in some interesting discussions. :smile:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. 6 months, seems like and insane time, but i think i might be in the same situation as you. I ordered mine on a PCP contract with 240 TDI R-line on the 26 of may, from a Listers dealership in Worcester. I was told at the time that if everything went well I was looking to take delivery in September, and if there will be some delays, i am looking at end of October. It has been 6 weeks and the order has not yet been processed by the factory.
Have to done any test drive on the 1.5 tsi? and did you add anything extra? manual? DSG?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The long wait may have something to do with the new WLTP vehicle test which is a more accurate reflection of real life emissions and fuel consumption than the current NEDC test. All new cars will be assessed using the new standard by September 2018. Many manufacturers including VW are having to retest their vehicles by this deadline which are then used to determine the cost of car tax for new cars. Only when this has been performed will they restart production as they may also want to optimize their engines in the process to lower the tax band their cars fall under.

I ordered my car in February 2018 and received it within 14 weeks. As it was earlier in the year, VW probably hadn't started testing the Arteon based on the new standard yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi and welcome to the forum. 6 months, seems like and insane time, but i think i might be in the same situation as you. I ordered mine on a PCP contract with 240 TDI R-line on the 26 of may, from a Listers dealership in Worcester. I was told at the time that if everything went well I was looking to take delivery in September, and if there will be some delays, i am looking at end of October. It has been 6 weeks and the order has not yet been processed by the factory.
Have to done any test drive on the 1.5 tsi? and did you add anything extra? manual? DSG?
It certainly does feel a long way off, but hopefully that will be it and no FURTHER delays will occur.

I went for the 1.5TSI R-Line with a manual gearbox, and the standard Urano Grey colour, no extras.

The other crazy thing is I haven't driven the car, or even sat in one! We went out as a family last Sunday and toured the car dealers to get some ideas, and actually went into VW to look at the Passat and Tiguan. We were all bowled over by the Arteon, but I wasn't aware of the lease deals available on it, so assumed it was out of reach, and let the wife and kids sit in it etc but didn't bother myself! Then got wind of a lease deal I was happy to sign up to (2 years at £289/month on a 1+23, no additional fee, 10K miles), and took the plunge. A different colour would have been £20-£30 a month extra (which is ridiculous, that would have been the full cost of it paid by me within the lease, basically). What really impressed most (other than the looks, and that I can lease one for less than £7K for 2 years) is the practicality of the Arteon: it's a stylish coupe but also a big family car with acres of room inside and an enormous practical boot too. I didn't expect that to be honest. I've never chosen a car without an extensive test drive before, and I'm aware it won't be the quickest thing around, but it will be plenty for our needs in that respect and an upgrade on our current Mazda 6 in a number of aspects.

It's just the wait....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats on the car, and for what your needs are and considering, that you will not own the car at the end, the 1.5 TSI engine should be plenty, but I would of gone for a an automatic at that stage, just so you can benefit more from acc, and all of those standard assistant sistems. In all honesty i have seen better lease deals, and it would not hurt for you to search the market a bit more. For my car, i have got with the 240 TDI R-line, 4 motion, in oryx white, with a lot of extras, like dynaudio, sunroof, heated screen, tyre pressure monitoring sistem, keyless entry etc, and got to 506 £ a month on a PCP contract for the next 48 months, with a baloon payment of 15000£ at the end, 10k per year. And 3000£ deposit. For me it works better, because if the car is that good, then I will keep it. It all depends on how reliable it will be over those 4 years. As for the wait, i know exactly how it feels, because when you see another one on the road, your heart jumps. The wait is ......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on the car, and for what your needs are and considering, that you will not own the car at the end, the 1.5 TSI engine should be plenty, but I would of gone for a an automatic at that stage, just so you can benefit more from acc, and all of those standard assistant sistems. In all honesty i have seen better lease deals, and it would not hurt for you to search the market a bit more. For my car, i have got with the 240 TDI R-line, 4 motion, in oryx white, with a lot of extras, like dynaudio, sunroof, heated screen, tyre pressure monitoring sistem, keyless entry etc, and got to 506 £ a month on a PCP contract for the next 48 months, with a baloon payment of 15000£ at the end, 10k per year. And 3000£ deposit. For me it works better, because if the car is that good, then I will keep it. It all depends on how reliable it will be over those 4 years. As for the wait, i know exactly how it feels, because when you see another one on the road, your heart jumps. The wait is ......
Cheers. I've had the same thought about an auto box, and it's not clear how some of those systems will work with a manual box...we will see. I'm not sure there are better lease deals around at the moment (some are the same, with bigger deposits and lower monthly payments), but perhaps there were previously. As a general rule I think a lease deal where you're paying 10% of the list price per year, is about as good as it gets, having looked at this and lots of other vehicles that tend to be good value on leases. In any case, I've committed now, so it would have to be something very special to get me to pull out I guess. I can see the appeal of a PCP if you want to keep the car long term, but for me at least a lease works better...you can have a new car every 2 years, and costs a lot less overall. Downside is you have to sometimes compromise on the exact car you want.

·
Registered
208 Posts
IMO, VW could do that and more to the Arteon even if it comes at a cost they have to absorb and not pass on to the consumer. Over the long haul it will be worth it. They have long stated that having a stronger foot hold in America is their goal. Before they never understood the market or catered to it specifically.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'd gladly pay 1000 more over 2 years, to have the comfort of the DSG and the full benefits of ACC. plus a few more ponies!
I can see the appeal for sure, but horses (horsepower?) for courses...bearing in mind I hand the car back after 2 years, that's £1000 I don't get back! Also added insurance and fuel costs. Plus my wife will do about 80% of the driving in it - I commute by train - and she'll never use any of the traffic jam assist or stuff like that anyway. I'd like the additional horsepower but can live without it and my licence will be grateful too :angel:. It's just the wait that's annoying.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'd gladly pay 1000 more over 2 years, to have the comfort of the DSG and the full benefits of ACC. plus a few more ponies!
Well...it seems the VW factory gods listened to your suggestion that I get a DSG...my order for a 1.5TSI manual R-Line got cancelled today as they no longer intend to make this version. Instead I have upgraded to a 2.0TSI DSG R-Line. It's costing me more, and I'm going to have to wait till mid January it seems :sad:, but it will be a better car far sure (albeit more costly to lease, to insure, to refuel....). Extra horsepower will be welcome I think though, as well as the additional functionality with the DSG box.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well...it seems the VW factory gods listened to your suggestion that I get a DSG...my order for a 1.5TSI manual R-Line got cancelled today as they no longer intend to make this version. Instead I have upgraded to a 2.0TSI DSG R-Line. It's costing me more, and I'm going to have to wait till mid January it seems :sad:, but it will be a better car far sure (albeit more costly to lease, to insure, to refuel....). Extra horsepower will be welcome I think though, as well as the additional functionality with the DSG box.
That's really interesting, that they decided to cancel that version, maybe they did not get enough orders and was not economically feasible. But even though it will cost you more to run, refuel, insure, and lease, you can bet you won't regret it. As for the lease price. why not consider the 150 bhp diesel?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's really interesting, that they decided to cancel that version, maybe they did not get enough orders and was not economically feasible. But even though it will cost you more to run, refuel, insure, and lease, you can bet you won't regret it. As for the lease price. why not consider the 150 bhp diesel?
The lease rates on the diesel are even more than the 2.0TSI, so it doesn't make sense to me (even if it's a bit more frugal).

I suspect the cancellation of the 1.5TSI/manual combination may be due to WLTP - reducing the number of options means less testing etc and that's happened to a few cars over the last few weeks/months I believe. It might just be in the RHD version of course. Does seem odd though, if only because this was clearly the cheapest version by a couple of £K, and made the Arteon quite a bit more accessible. Also arguably of appeal to company car drivers too (alongside the diesel). I had a quick look at the VW Germany site and saw that they don't allow you to configure a 1.5 at all. Then on the French site you can (with DSG), but not the 2.0TSI. Interesting how they have such variation in specs from one market to the next. They also sell much more basic versions in those markets too, without all the bells and whistles that are standard in the UK models.

Anyway, I think you're probably right that I won't regret it. I've never driven an auto box before so there'll be some learning to do but I'm sure I won't look back. And there was a niggle at the back of my mind that the 1.5 just might feel a bit sluggish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Other thing to add is that there's little incentive now to get a 1.5TSI compared to a 2.0TSI, unless the minor savings in fuel and insurance matter...there's only a £1K difference in list price. When there was a manual gearbox version of the 1.5 that difference was about £3K.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sad to see that even Europe has been hit with manual transmission cuts because its the last strong hold for manuals.
Hence the whole uprising of manuals all these decades thanks to German cars for the influence. Onto another era.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm driving at the moment an Arteon, 148bhp 2.0 liter diesel engine but in the interior is awesome as well. entry-level elegance with electric adjustment for the driver's seat backrest, 8.0 in touchscreen with crystal-clear graphics. It has loads of space upfront. In love with this car, that I couldn't afford to buy from my savings so I get a loan almost 15000 that I pay monthly, two years 600 per month. It's because I had some savings as well. I decided to get the loan from Money Expert, so if smb is interested I leave the link below.

https://www.moneyexpert.com/car-finance/car-loans/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts