Volkswagen Arteon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

New to the forum, so my apologies if this subject is being discussed elsewhere and I missed it when looking around the different topics.

I am very close to pulling the trigger on the R-line Arteon in either the 272 BHP TSI or the 240 BHP biTDI.

I know what to expect from the 272 BHP TSI version as I currently have a tuned mk7 GTI (IS20 turbo) and some friends of mine drive the mk7 R with that same engine (IS38 turbo).

I haven't driven the biTDI version yet, but I have booked a test drive this week.

Both engines are highly tuneable via ECU remapping, so I know which kind of power/performance can be had with a relatively soft "stage 1" remapping from the current top engine choices in both petrol and diesel.

The only thing holding me back from ordering R line with all the bells and whistles, is the "fear" that VW will offer a proper R version with the 409 BHP 3.0 liter turbocharged VR6 engine that they have been testing on a prototype Arteon.

From a realistic perspective I am thinking that VW would not offer a car that would be more powerful than an S5 (354 BHP) and very close to a S7 (450 BHP) model, due to the wellknown hierarchy that exists in the VW Group, between Audio, VW, SEAT and Skoda.

In my book the Arteon is a competitor to both the A5/S5 and perhaps even the A7/S7 models and I am wondering if anyone has some thoughts if an "Arteon R" with a proper 6 cylinder is but a wet dream that will never happen? :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
There has been no information to confirm that a VR6 engine would be coming to the Arteon, outside of hopeful speculation. The Passat GT is the newest model in their lineup to get that treatment and they've already announced its only being made for the one year. If they are cutting the entry level engine options because of emissions, I think that raises skepticism of a high performing variant.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It makes no sense to me that VW is already developing a R variant of the T-Roc and not one for the Arteon. We haven't seen any test mules or spy videos of something this being tested, suggesting its more than a year or two away from production if it does end up coming.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts